Sunday, April 17, 2011

I like em!

This was the group reaction from my guinea pigs today (Corey, Paige, Brady and Walker) when I had them try the cookies. I was wondering with Brady, as he doesn't like berries very much. And the cookies looked interesting. Here is the recipe for the people who didn't get to the link yet:

-----------------------------


INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar (if you don’t have dark brown sugar, use 1 cup of light brown sugar)
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2- 2 1/2 cups oatmeal
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/4-1/2 cup seedless raspberry preserves
DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar and white sugar until smooth.  Then, beat in eggs one at a time and stir in vanilla (FYI: I usually blend the eggs and vanilla with the sugar on low/medium for a minute or two).
Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl and stir/sift together.  Next, gradually stir the dry ingredient mixture into the wet mixture until just blended.  Mix in oats, chocolate chips and dried cranberries.
To assemble the cookies, place 1 tablespoon of cookie dough in hand.  Take finger and make an indentation in the middle of cookie dough ball.  Next, drop about 1/4 teaspoon of raspberry preserve into indentation.  Then fold sides of cookie dough up and around the raspberry preserve (so the raspberry preserve is in the middle of the cookie).
Place cookies on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.

-----------------------------

Now, I did do things a little differently. I didn't use cranberries or the raspberry preserves. Also, I used regular milk chocolate chips instead of the white ones. And, I used 3 cups of blackberries I had thawed and drained from the freezer from our bushes last year. It gave an interesting color!




Haha! I was happy to see this, as purple is my favorite color. But purple cookie dough? Hmmm. I did the proper thing and licked the beaters, and decided they tasted pretty good! No picture of that tho lol






There are 5 cookies missing from the picture, as they were the test cookies :-)

The recipe states it makes 3 1/2 dozen, but I have never made cookies the right size, so I ended up with 31 cookies instead. The cookies that have white on them? The beaters didn't quite mix the juice from the berries all the way, but it tastes the same!

So, we all got a treat while I was making homemade biscuits and sausage gravy for dinner. No pictures of that as well, as I was too busy running back and forth across the kitchen to mix the biscuits and keep the gravy from burning. Turned out pretty good! Nice and heavy dinner, so now I think it's time to head into the living room and chill with the second book of the Fablehaven series! I read the first one in about 3 days, and I just bought the second one today and I've been reading it off and on, so I'm on page 107 already. I highly recommend this book series, I've gotten as engrossed in it as I did the Harry Potter and Twilight series. Just need to find the third and fourth books, as WalMart doesn't have them, they only had the first, second and fifth.

Also, as I finally finished my last sewing project, it will be a break from that for me until I start my next one, and I'm not sure what it will be yet. I've toyed with the idea of taking orders and sewing for some extra money, as I know how to do a few things like quilts (any size), baby blankets, pillows, Christmas stockings, etc... I also know how to do this little Christmas tree that is stuffed with little presents glued to the outside, but I haven't done it in years! Oh well, maybe something to think of for later.

5 comments:

  1. Now I must say that that is the most interesting looking cookie that I have ever seen! And, as we all know, those are usually the best tasting (would have loved a pic of you licking the beaters ;-) ) You can always save one and bring it up next weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just may do that! I know, the color throws you off a little, but they do taste pretty good! I will do my best to keep the kids from devouring them all so I can bring a couple up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Color throws you off a little...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. The color is a little interesting, I do admit, and the cookie looks interesting as well since it has quite a bit of stuff in it. It's tastes awesome tho, I guess I WILL have to make sure I save a few and bring them up with me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could get my thoughts in order enough to blog like you and Mom!!!

    ReplyDelete